This cutting-edge project at the interface of data-science, statistics and geochronology aims to develop and apply a methodological framework needed to fuse chronologic information from different Earth components into one consistent picture. Different Bayesian statistical models will be combined to synthesize absolute and relative age-information across published timeseries in a flexible and extendable way. This will not only result in a new approach to investigate complex systems in a data-driven way, but also in a consistently dated network of past environmental changes.
This project is part of the Helmholtz School for Marine Data Science (MarDATA) which aims to define and educate a new type of “marine data scientist” by introducing and embedding researchers from computer sciences and mathematics into ocean sciences, covering a broad range from supercomputing and modelling, (bio)informatics, robotics, to statistics and big data methodologies.
- Develop a Bayesian approach to synthesize stratigraphic information from different paleoclimate records
- Implement and couple forward models of sediment and tracer deposition from the literature
- Apply the coupled model to existing environmental records
- Present at international conferences
- Publish in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- a degree (Master’s, Diploma) in mathematics, computer science, physics, climate sciences, or a related field
- Strong analytical, mathematical and statistical skills
- proficiency in a programming language (preferably Python, C/C++ or R)
- excellent English language skills, both written and spoken
- experience in Bayesian statistics and/or machine learning techniques is a benefit
- previous experience with (paleo)climate research is an advantage
For further information please contact Dr. Florian Adolphi, Tel: +49(471)4831-1008, Florian dot Adolphi at awi dot de or Prof. Dr. Peter Zaspel, Tel: +49(421)200-3051, p dot zaspel at jacobs-university dot de .
This position is limited to 3 years. The salary will be paid in accordance with the Collective Agreement for the Public Service of the Federation (Tarifvertrag des öffentlichen Dienstes, TVöD Bund), up to salary level 13 (100%).
The place of employment will be Jacobs University, Bremen, with the option of short-term/interims stays at Alfred Wegener Institute, Bremerhaven.
The candidate will participate in the Helmholtz School for Marine Data Science MarDATA. All doctoral candidates will be members of AWI’s postgraduate program POLMAR or another graduate school and thus benefit from a comprehensive training program and extensive support measures.